You planned your holiday (TIP #1 and TIP #2) but inevitably something will go awry and you’ll feel anxious and stressed. It’s normal and expected, especially during a pandemic. Especially now, you need to manage your stress.
Hot flashes are often linked to stress and anxiety, so the better you manage your stress the easier your menopause journey will be.
Take time to relax and unwind:
- Allow yourself breathing breaks or brain time-outs. My version of meditation: stand or sit in a quiet place for 5 to 10 minutes and just think about your breath going in and out; you may not succeed in keeping all your thoughts away the whole time, but let them go and focus again.
- Take a bath (and don’t rush it!)
- Read a calming book
- Listen to soothing music
- Do yoga/stretching
- Look out the window and actually SEE what’s out there
- Mindfulness-based stress-reduction techniques help you learn to be less reactive and more accepting. These techniques also help with hot flashes.
- Try this breathing exercise throughout the day at regular intervals, and often, to keep stress at bay: close your eyes, breathe in through your nose, slowly, to a count of five, hold for five, breathe out through your mouth slowly for a count of five, wait for five, and then repeat a dozen times or until you’re calmer. It’s an amazingly easy thing to do and has such great effect! It’s good for your mind and your heart will slow down. You’ll leave the fight-or-flight state and get into the rest-and-digest state which is so much healthier for you!
Did you like this blog? Sign up for the MenopausED Newsletter to receive more interesting and helpful (peri)menopause information like this.
Are you experiencing a bothersome menopause? Would you like to connect with other women going through similar experiences in a safe space where sharing is encouraged and appreciated?
Wait no more! On December 27th the WHIM (Women’s Health In Midlife) Network and I welcome you to our Support/Sharing Get-Together. Get $24 off your annual WHIM (Women’s Health In Midlife) Network membership and pay only $10 a month. Sign up here using code READER and join us Dec 27th.